If the rich ranching and hunting heritage of the West is in your veins, this is a must-experience –
and now’s the time. Today the ranch serves as a refreshing tribute to a simpler past, and a refuge from the current pressures and pace, with modern-day comforts and improvements that go above and beyond.
- Breathtaking mountain views across the rolling productive landscape.
- Completely updated, spacious 3-bedroom, 3-bathroom lodge headquarters.
- Ranch facilities in excellent condition, with strategic systems and improvements.
- extensive, efficient water systems.
- Brush control project – with tremendous results!
- Vast hunting opportunities – including management and income potential.
- Elk, deer, migrating antelope, and more in abundance!
- Plenty of privacy, peace, and quiet.
With the friendly, uncrowded communities of Mountainair, Claunch, and Corona nearby – everything you need is within accessible, easy reach.
In this unpredictable day and age, whether you’re looking for a spacious refuge away from it all, or to diversify into land with appreciation potential (versus the volatile markets)… this is one opportunity you don’t want to pass up!!
The Atkinson Ranch has all the attributes of a premium Southwest cattle ranch: top-quality cattle handling facilities, ample grassy pastures, flowing wells, extensive pipeline, ideal weather… and most importantly, pride of ownership in every detail.
Grazing sections are maintained for efficiency and ease of use. Each section has a carrying capacity of 10-12 pairs, depending on rain. The ranch would also work well as a yearling operation.
LIVESTOCK FACILITIES & STRUCTURES
The improvements are in good to excellent condition throughout the property, and include:
- A large set of working pens capable of holding 400 pairs during shipping and cow work.
- A covered working area includes tub, adjustable alley, hydraulic chute, and electricity.
- A large set of scales and a large alley system
- The original ranch two story barn houses a milking pen, wood granary, and second story hay loft.
- A 70 x 120 barn with 6 stalls and a calving area.
- Attached to the big barn is a 55 x 90 hay/equipment shed.
- A rodent proof saddle room and large tie outs.
- Two box cars for additional storage.
Water systems are extensive, state of the art, and provide plentiful livestock water, all year round.
There are over 50,000 gallons of water storage in 5 tanks spread throughout the ranch. The ranch boasts 4 wells. A pipeline network connects the wells and water quality is fair and suitable for cattle.
HOMES & DWELLINGS
Well-designed and situated, the 3,000 square foot main residence has scenic, panoramic views of pastures, junipers, mountains, and never-ending sky… Completely redesigned and remodeled with unique high-quality upgrades, this roomy Southwest charmer features:
Extensive use of brick stone, slab stone, tile and wood accents.
- 3-bedrooms, 3-baths (a full, a ¾ bath and a ½ bath).
- Double-paned, new windows, situated to take in the soothing Southwest views.
- All new plumbing and electrical, too!
From the covered patios watch sunrise with a coffee or relax as it sets. Easy-to-maintain, native plant landscaping adds an artistic finishing touch.
Other buildings on the property include:
- A large rock garage
- A bunkhouse – comfortably sleeps 6 with a ¾ bath
- An office area (connected to bunkhouse)
- A 3-bay garage (connected to bunkhouse)
In an area famous for its quality animals, the ranch is home to a thriving population of wildlife and provides some of the best game hunting in the region. A couple great perks that come with being a private land owner are the hunting management and income opportunities now available!
Atkinson Ranch is home to about a 200 resident antelope herd, elk herds during migration, loads of deer, and occasional Oryx. Coyote, cougar and bobcat are also available for harvest.
Private landowners now have the ability to sell hunting permits, including:
- Unlimited over-the-counter antelope hunt permits.
- Deer permits – allowed during regular hunts at owner’s discretion.
- Contiguous 5-day Elk hunt permits – allowed Oct. 1 to Dec. 31.
- 30-day Oryx permits – available during regular hunts.
The resourceful and pioneering Atkinson family started the ranch in 1914, and expanded the property by purchasing dying out Pinto Bean farm land during the Dust Bowl years. 100 years later, recognizing the increasing potential these lands held in this day and age, the current family purchased the property in 2014. The transformation included years of facility and water resource development as well as land maintenance and management, including an extensive brush control project. Their hard work has had a tremendous effect, improving carrying capacity and wildlife opportunities. Combined with continual quality improvements and a complete house remodel, plus recent improvements to hunting opportunities, the Atkinson Ranch has become a best-in-class ranch operation.